The weather is getting warmer, and there are many reasons to plan a backyard bash: Communion, birthdays, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day or, just because! The prospect of planning a backyard party may seem scary, but hopefully with a few our Divas on the Road pointers, you'll be a planning pro, and your friends & family will be asking YOU to plan THEIR next event!
1) Pick a Color Theme .. then stick with it! Nothing pulls a party together like a theme. One of the easiest ways to work a theme is by selecting a color. Pick your favorite and stick with it! The good news is that National stores like Party City already coordinated everything for you! Their tablecloths, plates, cups, napkins, silver wear, etc. are all color coordinated. The hardest job you'll have is deciding what color to pick (we're partial to lime green and Caribbean blue).
2) Plan a menu of party favorites... Take a look at your guest list and then think what your guests would like most! We recently planned a Communion with down-home favorites like fried chicken, mac & cheese, and spare ribs. Comfort food that everyone loves, but rarely gets to enjoy at a party. Of course, you can use your own grill to serve up perennial favorites like burgers and hotdogs! Add a creative touch by creating buffet signs.
3) Decorate with Ease.. visit the florist of your local supermarket and pick up bunches of whatever wild flowers are in season for easy centerpieces. We love tulips, spray roses, and lilies! Don't have vases? Don't worry! Visit the housewares section of Walmart and Target and pick up a dozen mason jars. They make the perfect vase for a backyard bash! Don't worry if you can't coordinate your flowers perfectly with your color theme. Match your theme by adding a ribbon or decorative accent to your vase or mason jar.
4) Keep it Informal.. While there is a time and a place for seating arrangements and elaborately served meals, the best backyard parties are relaxed and informal. Setup a buffet and let guests sit where they feel most comfortable.
5) Give them something sweet .. We thought the candy buffet trend was a passing phase, but it is here to stay! Stick with candies in your color scheme, or mix it up! Either way, it will be a hit with guests young and old!
6) Look for decorations and accents in unexpected places.. Some of our favorite hunting grounds for party decorations are Michael's and Joann Fabric.
Remember, keep it fun and informal! Need help planning your backyard bash? Call Darlings & Divas at (631) 608-4710 and we'd be happy to handle all the details for you!